MIAMI – The pandemic prompted travel restrictions and fear among travelers, so epidemiological investigators determined only about 22% of the confirmed COVID-19 cases in Miami-Dade County are related to travel.
In the continued effort to contain the community spread, Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez said a drive-through testing site is open at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens and another one will be open soon at Marlins Park in Miami’s Little Havana.
Nurses have been collecting samples from first responders to send them to local labs for testing before the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention gets to screen the presumptive positive cases. Gimenez said the two sites will eventually be open to the public.
“There will be a hotline to call to make appointments for this drive-through site,” Gimenez said in a video. “We are finalizing details on the opening date.”
Testing helps patients to be aware of the risk of infection and isolate, but since there is a limited capability for testing, officials are asking people to stay home.
As the testing effort expands, the Florida Department of Health will also be reporting daily increases of COVID-19 cases.
As of Monday afternoon, officials reported 2,090 people had been tested in Miami-Dade. The CDC confirmed the cases of 267 patients and 60 of them were travel related.
With the public beaches closed, Key Biscayne closed the village to visitors. Miami Mayor Francis Suarez, who was diagnosed with COVID-19, said he is considering issuing a stay-at-home order.
Despite all of the efforts to save lives, officials reported 14 people have died of COVID-19 in Florida. Five of them died in neighboring counties. Three of them died in cases linked to workers at an assisted living facility in Fort Lauderdale and two others died in Palm Beach County.
Copyright 2020 by WPLG Local10.com – All rights reserved.